Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Have a little faith in me.

4361 Wheeler
Bates 318
Houston, TX 77004

This is my new mailing address. As in, if you'd like to send me things, that would be way cool. It doesn't have to be money, although that would be appreciated, but perhaps a hallmark card, or a gift card, or a buttermilk pie. The sky is the limit. I believe post offices accept most anything nowadays.

My roommate doesn't like to go to sleep until 4 or 5 in the a.m. This does not particularly suit me, who goes to bed around 1030 or 1100. But I believe we have come to an agreement. When I go to sleep, she will leave the room for 20-30 minutes while I fall into my REM stage. We'll see how that goes.

I am on staff for the Life and Arts section for The Daily Cougar. Tomorrow night is my first assignment. I'm going to a movie premiere and I have to write a review. It's pretty exciting. My name is on a list and everything. I say, "Yes, I'm Caitlin Deans and I'm with the Daily Cougar." Then they give me my press pass and I go watch the movie. It's super cool. Except I'll have to go alone, and I'm not really looking forward to that. But I guess I'll be fine.

Another term for the word "College" should be the phrase "you'll never be alone again." I have found this to be quite true. I am never alone. If my roommate is not in the room, my suitemates and company are in their room. If they're not in the room, people are loudly roaming up and down our hall. The cafeteria is always busy with someone, even the bathrooms are occupied. I am constantly surrounded. Sometimes, it makes me go crazy. For those females out there, you know how it is sometimes when you just want to sit and cry. Not because you are sad, or mad, or happy, or frustrated, but you just want to cry because you can. Or maybe you want to scream. Or maybe you want to emit some other emotion but you cannot because you are surrounded by people. What does one do in a situation like this? I have found that my shower provides a great cave-like habitat. I close the curtain, run the water, and sit on the floor. It is the one place I have found where I can be completely alone and no one will bother me.

Unless you have Jay on your hall. One night I was taking a shower and he came and practically banged the door down. As a joke. Pfft. He's lucky the doors were locked or he would have gotten two blacker eyes. As a joke, of course.

I've gotten pretty tired of school. I think back to when I thought about taking a semester off. It still seems like a pretty good idea. Too bad I can't afford it. It's ironic, this college catch-22. You see, I can't afford to stay in college forever, but I can't afford to graduate, either. Because six months later I have to pay back all that money. You know, the money I didn't have to begin with which is the reason for the loan and I have to pay back the interest. I don't understand it. Where do they think I'm going to get this money from?

I should be doing homework right now. I'm taking 19 hours, again, and it's going to start kicking my butt if I don't start putting forth a little more effort. I'm not behind, necessarily, but I'm not exactly keeping up. It's pretty hard. I'm reading The Aeneid for my Literary Studies class, King Henry IV for my Human Situation class, and White Noise for my Contemporary American Fiction class. Not to mention my biology and history textbooks.

Oh, so there's kinda sorta a Chi Alpha here. Matt and Katey Hoogendoorn is the couple's name. Yeah, you can laugh. It's quite a funny last name. Anyway, they're not quite on campus yet because Matt hasn't raised all his funds yet, but there's a group that meets at his house. I've met some really great people so far. I even went to a XA superbowl party at one of the guy's house. I have friends! And the Hoogendoorns feed me dinner on Wednesdays and take me to church with them. Matt and Katey graduated under Eli Gautreaux's XA at Sam Houston and Matt did an internship under him. So there's a little bit of background.

I've recently decided to immerse myself in Christian Literature, on the advice of someone I respect and admire. Not the wimpy dummy teen or adult Christian fiction. I want the good stuff. I want to read the works of the Wiselies. i.e. C.S. Lewis. I'm currently reading his book entitled Mere Christianity. I need some more names of authors and, more specifically, book titles. The older the guy is, the better. In fact, I'd rather read the dead ones. I figure if the guy's been dead for years and we're still reading his book, he's obviously got something good to say. So hook me up with some names.

I'm currently the Fine Arts Coordinator for MBAG's youth group. I'm directing the Human Video as well as figuring out hotels and fundraisers and helping the rest of the kids. There's 11 signed up for the video, and about 8 signed up under various other categories. It's exciting. Just thought I'd share that with ya.

One thing about UH, everything is so far away. By the time I reach the library, I'm completely exhausted and I want to do no work! I suppose I'll stay in my room tonight, and see how much I get done.

Ciao!

No comments: