Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bicycles, Shin Splints, and the Feasts of Ramadan

Hey guys. I only recently remembered that I had this site, and my life has gotten pretty interesting, so I thought I'd share.

Classes are going great. And so are my grades! Mostly 'cause I haven't turned anything in, but hey, an A is an A, right?

I'm taking Medieval Literature, American Sign Language I, an Honors Writing Intensive course called Human Situation: Antiquity (which is a 6 hour class, I might add), Communications: Media and Socity, and Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction and Poetry. 18 hours. Living in the library has been given a whole new meaning. I should sleep and take my meals there. I'm studying Greek philosophy in the form of Homer, Plato, and Socrates; exploring the legends and myths of King Arthur, Robin Hood, and the knights of the round table; learning how the TV and Internet has screwed over every earlier form of mass communication; I can successfully fingerspell the alphabet and introduce myself; and deconstructing the fragments of Steisichorous. And that's only last week to now.

My MWF classrooms are at least .75 miles apart, so I powerwalk about 2 1/2 miles each day. I can make the fifteen minute walks in 9 minutes, yet I still end up late each time. And Houston heat has become utterly unbearable. Things are fine walking to my 10 o'clock class, but by lunch, my clothes are soaked right through. And my shins are killing me.

After much debate, I have decided to purchase a bike. Not just any bike, mind you, but an old school rustic bike. A Schwinn, preferably, but I realize those are hard to come by. I want one with back brace pedals, a banana seat, tall handles, a tiny bell that I can ring to warn passerbys of my incoming, and a basket. These are all must-haves. And I would like it red, but that is not a necessity. My budget is about $20, so if you would like to donate to the bike fund, make your checks and money orders to Caitlin Deans, cash is also fine. Or if you would like to donate a bike, I have described to you the perfect one. Find it. I'm going on a bike hunt soon.

Chi Alpha is still about the same: amazing. There's one new girl (finally) who is pretty cool and is getting her life back on track with the Lord. I had dinner with her the other day, and she paid, so two thumbs way way up for her. And she really is genuine about trying to get grounded in God. Plus, she's white and 23, so we hit it off pretty good. However, we are not on campus yet. There is still a little bit of support left to be raised. So, any of you wanna pledge some moolah?

My suitemate is named Katie Dugat. She's from Sweeny. Know her? She's a junior, she, too, is white (such a change from the asian freshman from last semester). She doesn't love the Lord, I don't think, but she's super sweet and a good person to be with. And she hangs out with the nerdiest people you will ever meet. Needless to say, I fit right in.

I've eaten lunch with Ann Arnett a few times. For those of you who don't know, Ann is the homosexual young woman that the Lord led me to last semester. I'm very happy to be reconnected to her.

But I haven't even told you the most exciting part. Because I know that things are about to get real interesting around here.

If you don't know, my roommate and I did not click last semester. Our schedules were as opposite as night and day, literally. And somehow we never seemed to figure out how to compromise. So I was definitely praying for this new roomie of mine: a sleeper, a quiet person, a respectful person, my age, and preferably Christian.

I got her, all right. Well, mostly. She is very respectful of me, my things, my time, and my schedule. Lights are out usually by 11. And if I stay up later than her, I have to insist I turn the overhead light off, she doesn't like me doing things by my lamp because it will ruin my eyes. She doesn't use my things without asking, she is away from the room enough that I get to have some time to myself. She's very clean, and tidy. And very funny, witty even.

Here's the clincher: She's muslim. I mean, scarf wearing (they're called hajibs, in case you didn't know) long-sleeve long-skirt, Quran carrying, mecca rug praying Muslim. (I think she might be trying to convert me). She's awesome. I've learned so much. She'll be Christian, soon. I already know. But please keep her in your prayers. Her name is Fatuma. She's a 20 year old Freshman, pre-pharmacy major. She's from Ethiopia, and moved to Houston when she was 17, not knowing a word of English, and she still graduated from High School in three years. Genius, I think. Her brothers brought her over here (they're all like over 30) but her mother still lives in Ethiopia, with Fatuma's grandparents. She speaks UmHarik (I'm probably spelling that wrong, but that's what it sounds like) and perfect english. Although, last night I thought she said "ankle" when really she said "uncle". It made for a funny change of conversation.

This is the month of Ramadan, and at sundown all the Muslims break their fast at the Religion Center. Kinda like a big par-tay, with food. Tonight it was Pakastani food. She invited me along, so I went. And it was crazy cool! (The food was disgusting, fyi, but I managed to swallow without upchucking.) All these Muslim girls ('cause the guys were separated) were askin' why I came and what did I think of it. They all were amazed that I even took an interest in it, and in them. I got the idea that most just shy away from these Hajib wearers. They're "scaaary". Pfft. They are the sweetest girls I've ever met. Kept wanting to refill my drink, get me more food (gag), asking all about where I was from, what I wanted to do, what I thought about being surrounded by Muslims, and apparently every lame joke I made was just HI-larious to them. This one freshman in particular really stuck out though. Her name is Rhamo, she's from Africa. She didn't seem to take to UH like she thought she would. So we exchanged numbers. She even brought up my religion and told me that I should invite them to something I do with my religion sometime. Heck yeah I will.

It's late, I need to go to bed. But I thought I'd share one more thought.

I always knew the Lord led me to UH, but tonight a new Revelation of sorts hit me hard. I think of myself as a sort of missionary, that UH is my country. I am here to spread the Good News to these college students I come into contact with. I don't want to go to Africa, or South America, or some 3rd world country. I just don't, for many reasons. I'll never go to Pakistan 'cause, well, what would I eat? But I digress. Tonight, I realized that UH is more of my country than I thought.

Take for example, my suitemate Katie. I could change her life, well, the Lord working through me could change her life--and i certainly pray that happens--and then because God affects her, she affects Sweeny. Same with Nicole, new Chi Alpha girl. My story could change her, she changes, she changes San Antonio. But, God affects Fatuma, she gets saved, she affects her family, she affects Ethiopia. I affect Rhamo, she affects her family, she affects Africa. I affect Saffria, she ends up affecting Kenya. And I never have to go to these places.

It's amazing how good, how great, how wonderful, the Lord is.

So please pray for Nicole, Katie, Fatuma, Rhamo, Saffria, and the other Muslim girls I talked to tonight that I can't remember their names, and the ones I will come into contact with. Pray that I get direction in how to talk to them, how to introduce the Lord to them. Fatuma and I have already had alarmingly great conversations about Allah and about God. She even borrowed one of my Christian books. I, in turn, am taking up studying the Quran. (Don't worry. I'm not converting.)

I'm going to bed for realz now. I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend.
Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caitlin - praying for you & for all those other college girls you come into contact with. Love, Aunt Shelly